Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cafe Vue

Cafe Vue
430 Little Collins St, Melbourne
(Ph) 9691 3899
☆☆

Lunch with P again =) This time I wanted to go try out Cafe Vue's Lunch Box - I had been to Cafe Vue before but only for breakfast and I had been to Bistro Vue for dinner so had to complete the meals of the day with a lunch outing =) and plus it's in the Cheap Eats Guide ☆☆ =)

We got there and there were no tables free - the waiter said there'd be a ~5min wait, it's a bit awkward 'cause there isn't really a waiting area so you feel like you're in the way a bit in the cramped cafe. Bumped into J and a friend there! I know he really likes Cafe Vue =P

We only waited a few minutes and got seated at a tiny table where one side is the couch but the other side is a cork-like stool - very funny looking chair that I made P sit on =P he said his butt was a little sore after sitting on it - though I thought it would be soft? But P said it would have been squished and compacted by all the people who had sat on it beforehand... hmm true =P


I knew what I wanted to order - the Lunch Box $15 =) We asked the waiter what was in the Lunch Box and he just listed the things, and didn't say there was a choice so I'm assuming they have particular Lunch Boxes on particular days?

Lunch Box

Looking back at the menu online, it seems like they had given me the Vegetarian Lunch Box - smoked potato croquettes; Waldorf salad; braised fennel, charred onion on beetroot chiabatta; Paris brest with hazelnut creme $15

Seems like they had run out of the normal lunch box and just given me the vegetarian one instead =( was a bit disappointed he didn't say that specifically to me.

The potato croquette came in the paper bag which I thought wasn't very good for appearance - it was quite tasty, but was cold =( was still crunchy but would have been better if it was freshly fried =( 

I've never heard of a Waldorf salad before so now I know what it is - lettuce, celery, apple pieces, grapes and walnuts. It was very refreshing - strange combination of ingredients but works well together! I didn't like the celery - but I've never liked celery, so I ended up picking them all out and giving them to P =X 

The beetroot chiabatta was a little bit strange =/ I couldn't hear what the waiter had said it was, but I had looked on the menu online before and had seen the Braised beef cheek on chiabatta and was expecting that - totally didn't taste like braised beef - was a lot of mush between the chiabatta so was a bit disappointing. Though the beetroot chiabatta was very flavoursome though - unique in a good way =)

The best part was the Paris brest - crunchy profiterole like puff with deliciously creamy hazelnut filling... could really do with another one!


P ordered the Vue Burger with Pommes Frites $15


We saw heaps of other people had ordered it - except everyone else's had come on a wooden board with the tomato sauce draped across the front, but ours only came on a plate - think they ran out of the wooden boards =P Bun was so soft and the pattie was herbed and delicious! The fries were crispy like Maccas fries - I don't normally like fries with skin on it but this was definitely thumbs up! The tomato sauce had vinegar in it, which was the only thing I didn't like about the dish.


Food~
Vegetarian Lunch Box - 5.5/10 - not sure if I'd order it again, especially with the beetroot ciabatta, probably would want to try the normal one next time, though I do <3 their sweet! Serving is a bit small but it's alright for a girl =) Appearance didn't look that good with the croquette still in the paper bag and all the components looking like they had just picked it out of a premade pile instead of personally made for me.

Burger with Pommes Frites - 8.5/10 - definitely yum though I would have liked the wooden board plating better =P

Service~
3/5 - Service was pretty good, waiters were very polite and attentive, though it would have been nice if he had told us it was a Vegetarian Lunch Box instead of the normal one.

Atmosphere~
2/5 - pretty cramped tables with a very uncomfortable cork-stool for P to sit on! I know cafes never have much room but this was pretty cramped with people sitting to the side of the corridor leading to Bistro Vue.

Maybe I'll try next time for an EARLY lunch so I miss the lunch rush and so they don't run out of the normal lunch box?

C.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment