Saturday, May 14, 2011

Pelligrini's

Pelligrini's
66 Bourke St, Melbourne
(Ph) 9662 1885

So it was after our first Tango lesson together and I had initially wanted to go Amaretto in Fitzroy but after getting off at the wrong tram stop and walking like 500m down Victoria Parade to the restaurant, we find out it's closed!! And I specifically checked that this place was open on Tuesdays :( There was a sign on the door saying it was closed for lunch but it didn't say anything about dinner - grr!

It was 8.20pm already and it was cold and raining - we were soo tempted to go have Maccas 'cause there was one just next door but we resisted and decided to go into the city to grab some food.

We really felt like Italian after expecting to eat at Amaretto so I took P to Pelligrini's on Bourke St which I went to a few years ago with a uni friend for lunch.


It was 8.40pm already but this place was still quite full! It's a small little place where you either sit against the bar or you sit facing the mirror on the other side - the atmosphere here is great! All the waiters speak Italian to each other - I think it's a family business carried down over generations.


Behind the bar there are posters and magazine articles on the history of this restaurant - it has such a genuine Italian feel to it all (not that I know what that feels like :P), but it's not like the Italian restaurants on Lygon St which I think are hyped up more than anything else.

The Menu

There is no proper menu at this place - all the pastas are on this board above us. They mainly serve pastas here with 1 pizza I think - I don't know what most of the pastas are actually - they're in their Italian names :P

I ordered the Beef Lasagne and P ordered the Spaghetti Bolognaise.

Complimentary bread :)

We were soo hungry by now thank goodness they gave us complimentary bread with real butter! :D

Spaghetti Bolognaise

P was saying how small his spaghetti looked and how he thought he wouldn't be full from it. But he dug in straight away and said it tasted very genuine and home-feel, despite it being steaming hot! We know it's cooked fresh for us haha :P

Beef Lasagne

I had the lasagne last time I came and I remember loving it - and this time it didn't disappoint me! It was delicious! It looks slightly messy but I love lasagne with more sauce and meat and cheese as opposed to those ones which are just in a block and no excess sauce. P said my pasta layers were a bit overcooked but I like it soft rather than slightly hard. Mmmm <3<3<3

Granita

We saw everyone around us ordering a Granita so we decided to try it - it was soo cold I was getting brain freeze! I don't know why P wanted one when it was so freezing cold that day. It tasted like watermelon, rockmelon and maybe some other melon... interesting. I think I would have liked it more on a cold day haha :P


The Dessert Bar


We sat at the bar infront of the desserts - when we first sat down we had decided to try one after we finished our pastas, but the little bowls were actually very filling! No room for dessert - next time :)



Delicious! :)

8.5/10

C.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment