Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Cookie

Cookie
1/252 Swanston St, Melbourne
(Ph) 9663 7660

One of my high school friends, H, came down to the conference as well over the weekend. She told me very last minute that she was in Melbourne, but we wanted to catch up, given we hadn't seen each other since 5 years ago! She asked me to come to Cookie to meet her and her uni friends there - at first we thought we were just having drinks there but then they decided to have dinner there as well. I had never come here for dinner before, always just came for drinks. It's a pretty cool place though - 7 levels with restaurant, bar, dance lounge etc.

There's a choice of small meal, medium meal and large meal. We thought we should get a medium meal since we were quite hungry, and assuming large meals are for hungry men :P 

The menu was full of fusion dishes - there was just too much to choose from and all sounding kinda strange. I ordered the Stir fried sweet potato & eggplant with coconut and kaffir lime

Stir fried sweet potato & eggplant with coconut & kaffir lime

For some reason I read the "stir fry sweet potatos" thinking it was deep fried sweet potato and I thought that would be an interesting fusion dish. Turns out it was like a vegetarian curry - 90% sweet potato with many slices of chilli =/ The plate was very small and I thought I wouldn't be full from it. But turns out I was very stuffed from a whole plate of carbs - ugghhh. And they put too much lime and basil and spring onion and herbs and bayleaf... so regret ordering this.

H ordered a Chilli Beef Stirfry with beans and thai basil with extra rice for $3.00 (so expensive!). Omg it was sooo chilli! We knew it'd be chilli but not THIS chilli =/ so chilli that you can't taste anything else!

Chilli beef stir fry with beans and thai basil

One of H's friends (who I had actually met at a work function earlier this year - small world indeed!) ordered Pad Thai (medium meal) which was also quite small but he said it was quite tasty, so I guess it's not totally thumbs down.

But seriously, the plates were very small given they were "medium meals". One of H's friends ordered a small meal and it was TINY! It was in a bowl about 5cm wide and her dish cost her $13.50! Our medium meals were $19.50 each, which I think was totally not worth it!

Don't think they've mastered the fusion concept here yet - especially when it's meant to be Thai fusion and there are Chinese stir fries on the menu... hmm..


The company was great though! I find out I actually went to primary school with one of H's uni friends there! I hadn't seen or talked to her for 10 years now! What a reunion! =)

Probably wouldn't come here for food again, but it's a nice chill out place - drinks are about $8-12 which is very reasonable I think =)

5.5/10

C.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment